SOURCE: CW's 'Arrow' Casts 'The Pact's' Caity Lotz as Black Canary
As the alter-ego of Dinah Drake, the actress will play a love interest for the hero.
The Pact" star Caity Lotz is set to play the Black Canary on The CW's "Arrow,"TheWrap has learned.
While the Black Canary will start out as a recurring role, Lotz is expected to eventually become a series regular, as her character will be groomed as a love interest for Arrow (Stephen Amell)
I was going to avoid commenting on this until the Arrow panel at San Diego Comic Con tomorrow. I read the above article yesterday and found it highly suspect. Ignoring what a grand slam it would be to actress Katie Cassidy, whom it had already been hinted would be taking on the Black Canary role in time, the rest of the article's facts seem way off-base with what has been reported before in regards to Summer Glau and her role on the show.
The Wrap article describes Summer Glau's character, Isabel Rochev, as "a Queen family friend and also a speculative love interest for Arrow." This flies in the face of every other bloody article about Glau's new role. More, the character of Isabel Rochev in the comics was a vicious corporate raider out to take over Queen Industries after having an affair with Oliver Queen's father, Robert. What little had been said about the character by the show's producers indicated that Glau would be a straight-forward villain in the same vein, plaguing the Queen family without a hint of romancing Ollie.
However, since The Mary Sue - who I've always found to be generally reliable about this sort of thing - is now running with this story, I thought I owed it to the public to speak on this matter in my capacity of one of the Internet's foremost Arrowheads and Black Canary experts by proxy. Because even though we'll probably get some kind of explanation for this tomorrow, there's nothing to stop us from making wild guesses today.
Here now, in no particular order of likeliness, are some possible explanations.
1. It's the Dinah Lance of Earth 2 and this will open up a whole new world for Ollie... literally.
2. Dinah Drake is Ollie and Laurel's daughter from the future, traveled back in time to ensure her birth given the likely strife between Ollie and Laurel as Season 2 opens. The romance rumors are totally false, unless Judd Winick has secretly begun ghost-writing the show.
3. "Dinah Drake" is hired by Laurel as a body double in much the same way Diggle sometimes acts as a second Arrow for Ollie. To Laurel's annoyance, The Hood starts to fall for her double.
4. Dinah Drake is Laurel's grandmother, who was fighting Nazis as Black Canary back in the 1940s. Ollie starts romancing her after an accident involving a contraceptive and a time machine.
5. Some mad scientist obsessed with Laurel Lance created an imperfect clone with Laurel's memories. The clone adopts the name Dinah Drake in honor of her mother and becomes Black Canary while Laurel starts fighting crime in a modified costumed with a hoodie as The Scarlet Canary.
Got your own crazy theory? Let's hear them in the comments!