Monday, March 2, 2009
Fast Thoughts - The Week of 2/25/09
CONAN THE CIMMERIAN #8 - A new story arc begins and no more stories of Conan's grandfather. We begin with a gorgeously illustrated retelling of the first chapter of Howard's Black Colossus and continue on to Conan's first time joining an army. Lots of good character moments here, including Conan righting a toppled statue of Mitra - not out of worship or respect but practicality.
Line Of The Issue: "Conan feared no god but Crom. Still, why tempt the ire of another... especially in that god's land?"
GREEN LANTERN #38 - Lots going on here, most of it tying into the War of Light. For those of you keeping score at home...
* A newly single Carol Ferris, while trying to get a hold of Hal, is once again ensnared by the Star Sapphire, becoming one of several Star Sapphire agents for the Zamarons now backing the Violet Lantern Corps of Love.
* Hal Jordan - after being enslaved by the power of a Red Lantern Ring, is able to make projections of red fire. Something that none of the other Red Lanterns were capable of.
* The Blue Lanterns have one rather huge weakness. Their rings only work so long as they have an active Green Lantern to piggy-back off of. So once Hal goes over to the Red Side... poof for the Blue Lanterns.
* Slapping a Blue Lantern Ring on someone wearing a Red Lantern Ring can burn out the Red Ring and restore the person's mind... but Hal is now stuck in some kind of weird power-feedback loop from wearing Blue and Green rings at the same time.
* Sinestro escaped to Qward in the middle of the fight between the Blue Lanterns and the Red Lanterns. He is aware of Mongul's attempts to rebuild The Yellow Lantern Fear Corps on Daxam and plans to fight him for control of the Corps... as soon as he attends to "a family matter" on his home world, which he must tend to immediately thanks to Atrocitus, the Red Lantern leader.
* Though we haven't seen them in any stories yet, John Stewart will apparently be the first to fight The Orange Lanterns of Greed.
So yeah... great stuff!
Line Of The Issue: "Hope is nothing without the Willpower to enact it."
JACK OF FABLES #31 - Wow. Just... wow.
Line Of The Week: "I'd love to say I had some happy memories of the place. But I only had sex there seven times. And aside from the tacos, the food was uniformly terrible. Still, all in all, I DID have sex there seven times. So I guess it wasn't such a bad place."
KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #148 - Things continue to build toward Issue #150 as pressure builds on several fronts. Bob has lost his character and Brian is already plotting on how to exploit the loss to his own advantage. The Blackhands continue their disastrous Cattlepunk game. And the riots at Hard 8 over the "new and improved" editon of Hackmaster are quelled... but one staff member may be ready to make the ultimate act of betrayal for the love of the game.
Line Of The Week: "Ya know - when you're driving a thousand head of cattle a thousand miles... Probably not a good idea to DRIVE THEM ON FOOT!!!"
WONDER WOMAN #29 - There's STILL a lot about this book that confuses me. How Cheetah is now almost as fast as The Flash. Why Donna Troy just freaked out and abandoned Diana in mid-fight. And who the hell this new villain Genocide is... or what she is. On the other hand, this comic does feature a one-on-one battle between Ancient Greek God of Thunder and Lightning Zeus and Hawaiian God Of The Heavens, Kāne Milohai... so the parts that confuse me are balanced out by the purely awesome god battle. So yeah... take that for what you will.
Line Of The Issue: "You may give birth to the thunder and lightning, Zeus. But their canvas is mine. And the heavens have fire, as well."